In this blog post, I’m gonna show you the complete information about Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary (also be Wildlife Sanctuary).
Here, you’ll know about,
- History of Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
- Flora and Fauna of the Sanctuary
- Best time to visit the sanctuary
- and, Lot’s more information
Let’s get started.
About Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
Thol Lake and Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary are located in the Mehsana district of Gujarat (the 5th largest state of India). The lake is an artificial lake which is created by the Gaikwad regime. To supply water for agriculture during the absence of rainfall, the Lake was created.
Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary is one of the most popular Bird hotspots in Gujarat which is around 27 km away from Ahmedabad. Thol Wildlife Sanctuary welcomes dozens of different species of Birds and Mammals. The sanctuary has a built-in shallow pond for birds to attract Migratory Birds. Covering the landscape in pink, the area is very popular in the rainy season and winter. This Bird Sanctuary is surrounded by waterlogged vegetation and different types of Thorny and Flowers Plants.
History of Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
Thol lake was originally created in 1912 as a tank with fresh water in the Gaikwad rule to supply water for the farmer during the lack of Rainfall. Day by day, the lake is going home to many different species of Birds. In 1988, The Forest Department of Gujarat declared the area a Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary for the presence of rare species of birds in the forests surrounding Thol Lake. When protecting the area, the number of Migratory birds continues to grow year after year for the sanctuary and many animals are found here later it becomes the Thol Wildlife Sanctuary.
According to the Environment (Protection) Act 1986, Thole Lake Bird Sanctuary was declared an environmentally sensitive area. The lake is currently maintained and controlled by the Forest and Irrigation Department of the Government of Gujarat.
Fauna of Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
Thol lake Bird Sanctuary is very popular among the Tourist and Trekkers. The Authority of the Sanctuary has organized the Camping and Trekking Program throughout the year. If you are a nature lover, a day trip to this lake will boost your mood like no other.
In this sanctuary, you can see many different species of birds such are flamingo, purple swamphen, spoonbill, bulbul, green shrink, heron, sunbird, sandpiper, ibis, peacock, and many more
In addition to Birds, there are many mammals and Animals found here such as foxes, zebras, jackals, etc. If you want to know more about the fauna of the sanctuary, you cal talk to local people. The locals are humble and act as tourist guides to showcase the various special features of the bird sanctuary and offer to show around the beautiful village of Thol.
Flora of Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
The Sanctuary is not only surrounded by the commonly found tree, but it has also had many plants that grow and float in these wetlands called Acacia nilotica. Some are the many floating aquatic plants are Azadiracta indica, Ficus sp, Prosopis chilensis, Leukoploia, Giziphas, and Caprisparis. Normal Biological Spectrum (NBS) study that the Bio-Geographiczone-IV section contains thorny shrubs and drought-resistant plants, and a mixture of aquatic plants.
Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary Ahmedabad Entry Fee and Timings
Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary Entry Fees: The entry fee to visit Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary is Rs. 50 per person. And, if you carry a camera, you need to pay the Camera Fee, which is Rs. 200. And, The car entry charges are a bit high at Rs. 500.
Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary Timings:
|Monday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
|Tuesday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
|Wednesday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
|Thursday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
|Friday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
|Saturday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
|Sunday||6.00 AM – 5.30 PM|
Places to Eat and shop near Thol Lake
It is advised to all the visitors carry their own food and water because there is a food facility inside the sanctuary. By the way, if you are planning for a Picnic Trip, you can consider cooking a meal on the spot.
Though, there is a little bit of risk of animals coming while you will cooking food. Apart from that, there are many food shops within a kilometer of the vicinity.
In the nearby village of the lake, there are some handicrafts that may be sold that can be used to decorate one’s home. Radhe Sri Mall is a place where one can find different things to buy. The mall also has a food court.
Best Time to visit Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
The Authority of the Sanctuary is organized Caping and Trekking Program throughout the year. Though there is a Camping and trekking program organized throughout the year, the Best Time to Visit the Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary is November to February Month.
How to reach Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
- By the Road: Ahmedabad, the Capital City of Gujarat is well connected by road with all major cities and towns. The Thol Lake Bird sanctuary is about 40 km Away from Ahmedabad City. From Ahmedabad City, There are various State and private buses service available, which you can take.
- By Train: Maninagar Railway Station is the Nearest Railway Station to the Sanctuary which is 2 min walk to reach the spot.
- By Air: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Airport is the nearest airport to the Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary. If you come from a long distance, take off at the Airport, And, from there take a local taxi to reach the Sanctuary.
Location in Google Map:
Places to visit nearby Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
Some are the nearby visiting place of Thol Lake Bird and Wildlife Sanctuary are;
- Akshardham Temple: The Akshardham Temple, the temple of Lord Swaminarayan has a very Beautiful design with wood carvings on the walls. The Garden of the temple is well maintained and very pleasing to the eye. This temple is very famous for its 45 minutes unique laser shows, which are conducted every evening except Monday. This show is entertaining and educational, which is a must-see place in Ahmedabad.
- Balvatika: Balvatika is one best-suited places for children which is not too far from Thol Lak. It has various types of rides and horror houses which are specially designed for the entertainment and funning activity of children. In addition, in the Amusement Park, there is a little zoo and boat trip facility on the lake.
- Shri Camp Hanuman Temple: This is the oldest Historical Temple which has been given a strange name due to the location of an Indian Army camp nearby. There are thousands of devotees who flock to this religious place. It is advisable to visit the temple on Saturday morning to pray and ask for a sacred token from the priest referred to as “Raksha Kavaj”.
To Sum up, The Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary (also be a Thol Lake Wildlife Sanctuary) is one of the best picking and tourist place in Gujarat, near Ahmedabad City. I hope you find complete information about Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary in this in-depth article.
Now, I’d like to know from you:
Have you been to this Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary before?
Did you even tour the Beautiful city of Ahmedabad?
Let me know in the comment now.
You will also visit:
- Purbasthali Bird Sanctuary
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary
- Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary
- Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary
- Bibhutibhushan Wildlife Sanctuary
- Senchal Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary
- Bethuadahari Wildlife Sanctuary
Somraj Mondal is an Extensive experience in SEO and Travel, Lifestyle, and Bird Enthusiast expert of Indianchacha. A professional Blogger who loves to explore new places, and new cultures.