Karnala Bird Sanctuary and Karnala Fort is the very beautiful place in Panvel, Mumbai. As a travel Lover, Nature Lover, Trekker, and Wildlife Photographer, you should visit this Sanctuary.
- Area: 446 km2 (172 sq mi)
- Timing: 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Weather: in Summer Around 40 Degrees Celcius and In Winter around 28-30 Degrees Celcius
- Address: NH 66, Karnala, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 410206
- Nearest city: Panvel and Khopoli
Main Attraction of the Karnala Bird Sanctuary:
So, If you want to Explore this Karnala Bird Sanctuary, I will recommend you read the complete information about the Sanctuary, before you plan to visit, which will give you more excitement to visit and a better direction of the Sanctuary.
Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Panvel Overview
The Karnala Bird Sanctuary is located in Panvel Taluk of Raigarh District, outside Mumbai, India. A little distance from the Mumbai Pune Expressway, this Bird Sanctuary is full of both plant and animal species. Covering an area of 4.45 sq km, Karnala Bird Sanctuary was established in 1968, in a recognition of the remarkable efforts of Dr. Salim Ali, who pioneered the mission of bird conservation in the country. After that, the area of the sanctuary increased to 12.11 sq km in 2003.
Though this Sanctuary is quite small than the other Sanctuary Of Mumbai such are Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, and Sanjay Gandhi National Park, but, you can enjoy Trekking, Climbing in the Karna Fort, picnicking, and many more activities. Among the Bird Watchers, Trekkers, and Hikers who love to explore the offside gateway, Karnala Bird Sanctuary is very popular among them.
The Design of the Sanctuary is very interesting. Strategically, the design is made so that it caters to all types of visitors. After buying the Entry Ticket, when you will enter the main gate, first, you come across the conservation center that makes a list of all your plastic items where you have to pay some amount for carrying the Plastic Item. Don’t worry, Buddy, The Amount is refunded but only after you have returned all the plastic items you carry inside. I think every sanctuary should make this type of rule. To Keep the area clean and plastic-free, it is one of the best ways.
From the center, There are walking trails, the Harial Nature Trail. Though, this is the only 1KM long train but gives a great bird-watching experience. Also, there is another Trail, the Mortaka Trail, which covers a length of 6 km through the sanctuary, offering you to watch colorful butterflies.
And, for the Trekker, to go to Karnala Fort, Karnala Fort Trail is best.
The historical attraction, Karnala Fort makes the place a great weekend Gateway for Picnickers, explorers, Adventure, and Hikers.
Fauna and flora in Karnala Bird Sanctuary
Our Eyes love to see Green but in this hustle and bustle of the city and daily work, it is not possible. But, When you will take a Jungle Safari, Adventure in the forest on your Vacation List, that;t time is possible. The vibe of the Flora and Fauna will refresh your mind.
Here, you will also get a chance to do it. Karnala Bird Sanctuary is home to more than 222 species of birds and many types of Greenary.
This Karnala Bird Sanctuary has 8 endemic species of the Western Ghat such as are
- Malabar Gray Hornbill
- Small Sunbird
- Vigor’s Sunbird
- White-checked Barbet
- Malabar Lark
- Nilgiri Woodpigeon
- Gray-fronted Green Pigeon
- Malabar Parakeet
In addition, there are other endangered species Rafas Bellied Eagle, Three-toed Kingfisher, Ashi Minivet, Malabar Trogan, and Slatty Legged Crack. In Winter, many migratory birds are seen in the Sanctuary such as Ashi Minivet, Blackbird, Blue-headed Rock Thrash, Black-headed Cuckoo, Red-breasted Flycatcher, and many more birds. Along with the many types of Birds, the Sanctuary has also 114 species of Butterfly and it become certified as an Important Bird Area (IBA).
Moreover, there are many types of Wildlife such are wild boar, langur, montjak, four-horned deer also leopard.
The Forest of Karnala Sanctuary has a variety of Trees including kulu, mango, nana, asana, kalam, teak, and umbar. The forest provides a rich bird as well as perfect conditions for the wildlife population.
Karnala Bird Sanctuary Trekking Trails
Trekking to the Karnala Fort is just will Awesome experience for you. Trekking Along the Jungle is one of the Great Ways to Explore Karnala Bird Sanctuary. It takes around 3 Hours to Climb the Fort. Trekking Route to Fort is around 5.3 KM to 5.7 KM, So when you will proceed toward the Karnala fort then please carry as much as the water.
Basically, there is 2 way to the Fort, One is From the Water Pump House and another is through Man-made Steps of the Jungle. Start Trekking from the Water Pump House is preferred for First time Trekkers. There is an arrow mark on the trees showing the trekkers the way to follow the hiking trail. The second entrance is considered to be a more challenging track, starting with man-made steps that lead straight into the forest.
Few Points to Remember While Trekking to beautiful Karnala Fort:
- The ticket price is Rs 60 per person to Trekking to Karnala Fort through the bird sanctuary.
- At least carry 2 Water bottles while theIf you plan to trek and climb to the top of the fort.
- If You can carry fast food or homemade food, for eating, though, there are 2-3 food Stalls, but the quality of the food is poor. Also, take a banana, and glucose with you for instant energy, and remember to keep yourself hydrated. Carry Cash, Jio Network is available there.
- The trek is long but easy though a bit difficult at some places but mostly easy, perfect trek for beginners. So, Take care of safety while taking to Selfie and Some Pictures and Videos.
- Take Hut, Sunglass, and comfortable sports shoes with good grip. Wear only comfortable and light clothes.
Karnala Bird Sanctuary Ticket Price, Timing
- The Entry fee: Rs. 60 per person
- For a Professional camera: Rs.195
- For Car Parking: Rs.195
Karnala Bird Sanctuary Timing:
|Monday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Tuesday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Wednesday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Thursday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Friday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Saturday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
|Sunday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|
Climate and The Best Time to Visit Karnala Bird Sanctuary
- In the Summer season, The Temperature of the Sanctuary Touches around 40 Degrees Celcius and it is very Hot and Humid.
- In the Moonson season, This region receives high rainfall (about 2500 mm to 4500 mm) and the climate is humid and warm.
- In the Winter season, have a relatively mild climate (about 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather is cool and dry.
The Best Time to Visit Karnala Bird Sanctuary is from October to April month. Basically, in this time, wintertime, Many Migratory Birds came into the sanctuary.
On the other hand, A variety of birds, such as the Paradise Flycatcher, the Shama, and the Malabar Whistling Thrush nest in the sanctuary at the beginning of the Rainy Season.
By the way, it is recommended to avoid visiting Karnala Bird Sanctuary in Moonsoon Season.
Nearest Tourist Places of the Sanctuary
1. Kalavantin Durg
2. Prabalgad Fort
4. Irshalgad Fort
How to Reach Karnala Bird Sanctuary
There are 3 Ways, Road, Train, and Airplane to reach Karnala Bird Sanctuary.
- By road: State tourist buses and autorickshaws (6-seaters) are available from Panvel. Buses arrive every 30 minutes. Traveling by private car would be a good option as it is barely 2 hours away from Mumbai and the roads are smooth.
- By Train: Panvel Railway Station is the nearest railway station to the Karnala Bird Sanctuary. Since it is located in the suburbs of Navi Mumbai, many express trains make a short stop here.
- By Air: The nearest airport to the Bird Sanctuary is Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. After reaching the Airport, you need to hire a local Car or Taxi to reach the spot.
Location in Google Map:
Hotels and Resorts near Karnala Bird Sanctuary
If you are looking for luxurious hotels near Karnala Bird Sanctuary or budget-friendly hotels in Karnala Sanctuary to stay the night in the area of Sanctuary, Here is the list of the best resorts in Karnala bird sanctuary.
1. Visava Resort Karnala
2. The Forest Club Resort
3. Adamo the Resort, Matheran
4. Tropicana Resort and Spa, Alibaug
5. Aayush Resort
6. Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Alibaug
7. The Byke Heritage – Matheran
8. Mohili Meadows Resort
What is Karnala Bird Sanctuary famous for?
Karnala Bird Sanctuary is famous for the Mountain Trekking of Karnala Fort, Species of Native Birds and Migratory Birds, Wildlife, and the Picinicing Area. It is the Paradise for Bird Watcher, Trekker, Nature Lover, and Wildlife Photographer. This Bird Sanctuary is one of the best places for one day trip in Panvel, Maharashtra.
How do I get to Karnala Bird Sanctuary?
Karnala Bird Sanctuary and Karnala Fort (also called Funnel Hill) are 10 to 12 km far from Panvel station. This Sanctuary is located in Raigad district, Maharashtra, India. You can take a local car and Taxi from the Station to reach here.
What is the best time to visit Karnala Bird Sanctuary?
The Best time to visit the Sanctuary is in the winter season (October to March). You will enjoy a lot with your friends, and family, from Bird Watching, and Picnincing to Trekking to Karanala Fort, everything.
Is Karnala trek easy?
Yes, the Trekking route to the Karnala Fort is Natural. There are not too many difficult Challenges for beginners.
How much time does it take to climb karnala fort?
The Trekking route of the Karnala Fort is around 5.3 KM to 5.7 KM, it takes 2-3 hours to climb the Karnala Fort.
Do you need to book in advance to visit Karnala Bird Sanctuary?
Not Necessary to book a Ticket in advance to visit Karnala Bird Sanctuary via any Travel Tourism Agency or Travel Website, like Holidify, thrillophilia, or Tripadvisor. You can get an Entry Ticker from the Ticket Counter of the Sanctuary in front of the Entrance Gate.
What attractions are near Karnala Bird Sanctuary?
10 Attractions near Karnala Bird Sanctuary:
1. Central Park Kharghar(12.70 km)
2. Karnala Fort (15.84 km)
3. Kalavantin Durg(14.66 km)
4. SMART Eco Park(12.09 km)
5. Utsav Chowk(13.91 km)
6. Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation(15.7 km)
7. Little Chowk Point(1.7 km )
8.Orion Mall Panvel(11.1 km )
9. Prabal Fort(4.4 km )
10. Parsik Hill(15.4 km )
Conclusion on Karnala fort and bird sanctuary
In a nutshell, Karnala Bird Sanctuary is one of the hill station Bird Sanctuary in Maharashtra, which is very famous for its Trekking to Karanala Fort Facility for Trekkers. It is the home of many Native and Migratory Birds. I hope you got the necessary and complete information about Karnala Bird Sanctuary before you will set date a to visit there.
Now, I’d like to know you:
Are you live in Mumbai?
Have you already visited the Sanctuary and Karnala fort?
If so, how is your experience?
Let me know in the comments now.
You will also like:
- Purbasthali Bird Sanctuary
- Bethuadahari Wildlife Sanctuary
- Sandi Bird Sanctuary
- Bibhutibhushan Wildlife Sanctuary
- Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary
- Koonthakulam Bird Sanctuary
- Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary
- Point Calimere Bird Sanctuary
- Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary
- Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary
- Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary
- Patna Bird Sanctuary
- Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary
- Senchal Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary
Somraj Mondal is an Extensive experience in SEO and Travel, Lifestyle, and Bird Enthusiast expert of Indianchacha. A professional Blogger who loves to explore new places, and new cultures.